Monday, June 14, 2010

My Beach


I grew up at Mexico Beach, not literally, but just about. Every weekend of the summer for as long as I can remember my family went to the beach. For years we stayed at either my Grandmothers house in Port St Joe or my Uncles at Mexico Beach. My sister and I would spend the entire month of July at the beach. Then about 9 years ago my parents bought their own little place. Now every Spring Break, summer vacation or New Years Eve my children are growing up on the beach.
I don't think I every really appreciated it until this past weekend. It was always there, always had been, always will be, right? Maybe not. I heard the President say today that the beaches can be fixed within a couple years, but what are the beaches without their wildlife? I want to sit and watch diving birds and feel fish nibble at my toes in the water. The majority of my summer time at the beach was spent in a boat; scalloping, fishing, just riding. What about the seafood industry, their is little better in this world than eating fish the day you caught it. So I pray. I pray the oil stops. I pray the fish swim. I pray the birds fly. I pray the crabs run and hide.
I pray for my beach to live on.

3 comments:

Danielle Kagy said...

like! It is heart breaking to see the booms in place and knowing what is in store for our beautiful coast line :-<

Mississippi Candice said...

I know! BREAKS MY HEART! I am from the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and everything I love and remember will be gone or changed forever! I cry all the time about it. JUST SO SAD!!!

T said...

Christie! It was so good to get that note from you! I've been keeping up with your blog, too! You have been my birthday cake inspiration... :) Miss you! Take care of that cutie pie family. XO Sandy

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker